We all know why to use reusable grocery bags over plastic and paper single use bags. But, we also need to remember that this shift in buyer behaviors is also forcing a shift in the way our cashiers and baggers do their job. Here are a few common-courtesy ideas for when you hand over your cool, printed reusable bags to the bagger (and don’t forget to wash your bags before you get that far):
- Empty your reusable shopping bags completely
- Wash your reusable bags regularly. Not sure how? Here’s a guide to cleaning reusable bags
- Place your reusable grocery bags at the front of the conveyer belt so the cashier knows you have them
- Separate your reusable shopping bags so the cashier can easily grab each one as needed. Also, specify which bags are meant for what products (meat, dairy, etc)
- Open folding reusable bags while you are waiting in line
- Show respect to your cashier by saying please and thank-you, helping to bag, and ending your cell phone call
- When putting groceries on the conveyor, group heavy/bulky things together to be packed into the bottoms of your reusable grocery bags. The lighter items can go on top until each reusable bag is full.